It’s The Jewish High Holidays! Hold the Gluten!
The 2023 Jewish New Year begins at sundown on September 15. And the question on many minds is what to serve, especially when family and friends are bound to have different diet restrictions and needs.
Enter Gluten Free Easy – – and do your happy dance in the freezer aisle! That’s because there’s a new frozen pastry in town, and it’s making the gluten-free lifestyle easier and more delicious than ever.
These doughs are ready to thaw, fill, and bake whenever the craving for fresh-baked meals and desserts strikes. Go sweet or go savory—the sky’s the limit. Think of it as a tasty canvas for homemade creations everyone can enjoy for the high holidays and beyond. And best of all, these gourmet doughs go from freezer to fantastic in no time.
For the Jewish high holidays, it’s traditional to serve up symbolic foods that signify hope for a sweet and plentiful new year, including leeks, pomegranates, squashes, dates, apples, beets honey, and fish.
So, Gluten Free Easy offers up these sweet and savory recipes to delight your family and guests – and best of all, they probably won’t know they are gluten-free at all.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Cream Horns*
• Gluten Free Easy Puff Pastry Sheet
• Dairy Free Butter
• 1 Egg
• 1 Tsp Dairy Free Milk
• Finishing Sugar Crystals
• Cream Filling of Your Choice
1. Preheat Oven To 400°F.
2. Cut Puff Pastry into 1/2-Inch-Wide Strips
3. Brush Softened Butter onto the Cream Horn Molds
4. Starting at the Point of the Mold. Wrap the Puff Pastry Strip in a Spiraling Fashion, Overlapping Slightly
5. Mix Egg & Dairy Free Milk Until Combined
6. Brush Spiraled Puff Pastry with Egg Wash
7. Sprinkle with Finishing Sugar
8. Arrange on Baking Sheet and Refrigerate For 15 Minutes
9. Bake for 15 minutes or Until Golden Brown
10. Cool Completely and Carefully Remove From Mold
11. Fill with Your Favorite Filling
Recipe Credit: GF DAVE (Dave Stubler)
Gluten-Free Leek Puff Pastry Tart Recipe
• 1 package Gluten Free Easy Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed according to package instructions
• 2 large leeks, washed and thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter or vegan butter
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp honey
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 egg beaten, mixed with a drizzle of honey for egg wash
• Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish)
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave, and add the olive oil, mustard honey, and seasonings.
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Toss the sliced leeks in the butter mixture, and transfer neatly to the sheet pan to roast for about 15 minutes.
4. While that’s roasting, dust your work surface with a few tbsp cornstarch. Roll out the thawed puff pastry to a large rectangle, and transfer it onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Using a paring knife, score a border about 1 inch from the edge of the pastry, but make sure not to cut through completely.
6. When the leeks are finished roasting and slightly cooked, spread them within the scored border on the puff pastry.
7. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash mixture.
8. Bake the tart for about 20-25 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden and puffed up.
9. Once the tart is done baking and slightly cooled, garnish the with fresh thyme leaves and drizzle with a little more honey and sea salt. Enjoy!
LINK TO RECIPES:
Gluten Free Easy is the brainchild of two women who want to bring the joy of baking and eating back to those who avoid gluten but miss the satisfying taste of “real” bread and pastries. They don’t stop developing their recipes until their blind taste testers—who aren’t gluten-free—can’t tell the difference between traditional and gluten-free dough. Some say it’s even better!
The Gluten Free Easy line includes Puff Pastry Squares (12/pk, MSRP $14-17), Puff Pastry Sheets (1/pk, MSRP $14-17), Pita (4/pk, MSRP $12-16), and Pizza (12/pk, MSRP $12-16). Gluten free Easy is certified woman-owned. All products are also certified gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and certified Kosher (Kok-K and Babad certifications). All but the pita dough is vegan. And all are out-of-this-world delicious. Follow them at: https://www.instagram.com/glutenfree_easy,